Where should we start? Maybe at the beginning…the very beginning.
The Hubbs estate, now known as Angeline’s Inn, started off as a 112 acre parcel of land which was severed from the Noxon estate in 1869. This was during the most prosperous era in Bloomfield known as the “Barley Days” when many of the County residents became wealthy with the exporting of grains to the United States. The new owner of the land were Angeline’s and Henry Hubbs, proud Loyalist descendants and active Quaker preachers in the village. Their prominent lot at the major intersections of Wellington Street (Highway 33) and Danforth Road (Highway 62) was the perfect place to build their very in vogue Italianate style home.
Over the years many people have owned the grand Victorian house using it as a private home, boarding house and country escape. In the early 1950’s the Walter Motor Inn was built and was the first of its kind in the County. A few decades later it became known as the Coachouse Motel and lastly the Bloomfield Inn.
It isn’t until the 1980’s that the Fida family comes into the story. Freshly immigrated from Switzerland the young family with 1 child and another on the way moved into a cramped apartment near the Danforth in Toronto. Willie Fida, then a young and ambitious chef, was working at the Harbour Castle Inn (Hilton) along side Chef “Papa Schnell”. Yearning to get out of the city and start on his own place Willie moved his young family to a remote little village called Bloomfield to start his dream which became known as Angeline’s Restaurant.
The fine dining establishment (the first of its kind in the area) was a huge success for over 24 years. Willie and Monika’s children, Alexandre and Melanie, were introduced to the hospitality industry from the day they moved to Bloomfield. You could say that they were bred into the business.